Episode 8 of the Exam Study Expert podcast: “Performing under pressure, music practice and music exams with Professor David Rowland”.
The Exam Study Expert podcast is available on all good podcast platforms, including:
- If you have an Apple iPhone or iPad, we’re available through the Apple Podcasts app
- You can find us on many other podcast platforms, including Spotify and Stitcher, or simply search for “Exam Study Expert” in your favourite podcast app – we’re probably there!
- Alternatively, you can stream directly from your browser using the player below – just hit the big green “play” button and enjoy:
Today’s episode features Professor David Rowland, Professor of Music at the Open University and Director of Music at Christ’s College, Cambridge University.
If you’re not a musician, you might like to skip straight to 13.27 for an interesting 10-minute chat about performance anxiety and strategies for shining under pressure in exams, interviews and high-pressure situations of all kinds, drawing on best practice from the worlds of sport and music.
If you are a musician or have music exams of any kind, listen from the beginning for a fascinating conversation covering:
- The art of practice, and why people sometimes mistook Rachmaninov for a beginner
- The value of going for a walk, and a trick for high performance borrowed from the world of sport
- Minimising surprises on the day, and adding up the marginal gains
- Getting comfortable in the exam / audition / recital, and staying focused
- Tips for academic music exams and dissertations: answering the question, reading more widely, and good exam technique for written papers
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
For more information on the choir at Christ’s College, Cambridge: https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/join-christs-choir
For more information about studying music at the Open University: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/find/music
For more on exam stress and anxiety generally, check out our recent blog article on the subject at https://examstudyexpert.com/student-exam-stress/